Are your sugar cravings out of control? If so, you are not alone. The American Heart Association recommends only 6 teaspoons of added sugar per day for the average woman, and 9 teaspoons for the average man. In reality, Americans are consuming closer to 22 teaspoons per day. If you are unsure about your relationship with sugar, take our quiz below and find out if it might be time to break up with sweets.
Is it Time to Break up with Sugar?
- Have you tried to stop eating sugar and found you just couldn’t give it up?
- Do you give into your sugar cravings more in private than you do in front of other people?
- Has a doctor or family member ever approached you with concern about your eating habits?
- Do you binge on sugary treats in large quantities?
- Is your weight problem due to excess snacking on sweets?
- Do you eat sweets to escape from your feelings?
- Do you snack when you’re not hungry?
- Do you have a hidden stash of treats just for you?
- Do you ever feel guilty or ashamed about the amount of sugar you’ve eaten?
- Do you feel hopeless about achieving and maintaining a sugar free diet?
- Do you make excuses for your sugar intake? (Including “But, it’s organic!”)
- Do you make special trips to the store just to satisfy your sugar cravings?
- Is your reward for accomplishing something typically a sweet treat?
- Have you tried cutting back your sugar intake and felt symptoms of withdrawal? (headaches, lethargy, mood swings, etc)
- Do you find yourself continuing to eat sweets even after you are full?
- Do you experience sugar cravings even after a large meal?
- When things are going badly, do you find yourself needing sugar more and more to feel better?
- Do you buy a huge treat thinking you will have a small portion now and some for later, but end up eating the whole thing in one sitting?
- After having a slice of cake, do you find yourself going back for more and more?
- Do you often feel ‘brain fog’ after large meals or in the mid afternoon?
- Do you have a difficult time sticking to your resolutions to eat better?
- Do you often binge on sugary foods until you don’t feel well?
- Do you daydream about your next snack, or look forward to going home just to indulge in your favorite snack?
- Are your eating habits causing social or behavioral problems?
- Are you tired all the time-especially when you wake up in the morning? Or do you have a hard time focusing throughout the day?
If you answered ‘yes’ to five or more of these questions, you could be a sugar addict. If you are ready to eliminate these sugar cravings and proclaim once and for all “I quit sugar,” learn more about Sugar-Zen today!